Sep 9, 2012

"I went to Santa Monica High School and skated the Dog Bowl and hung out with all those guys, Jay Adams, etc. I went to go see this documentary and I thought I was going to be the only person there. And when I saw all these kids and they're clapping at the end of it, it was the first time it registered that the whole culture is over-romanticized on the East Coast. But on the West Coast, it was really looked down upon. It was low end. You wouldn't tell people that you surfed or that you skateboarded. It was definitely not something that was celebrated. I really appreciated that, and I was really happy to be part of this kind of outlaw culture. At the same time, I know so many people in Malibu who just take the mindset of: "Well, my parents worked their whole lives to buy this house on the beach. I'm already here. Why don't I just stay?" I just think that there is a little bit more to life than that."

From Daniel DiMauro's Interview with Sean MacPherson
Saturday's Magazine Issue No.1

No comments :

Post a Comment